Mar 21, 2020
These raw superfood hemp seed balls are the ideal snack when you need a sweet-tooth-power-hit of healthy fats and plant based protein.
Made with our NZ Grown Hemp seeds, and combined with Cacao and Maca, these balls are packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, magnesium, and more. This is the original recipe from the OM Shack at festivals and events.
Recipe makes 10-12 balls.
For best results (and to hide them from plain sight) store in a tupperware container in the freezer.
- 1 cup LSA (Linseed, Sunflower & Almond meal)
- 1/2 cup NZ Grown Hemp Seeds
- 1 tsp Maca Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 pinch of Himalayan Rock Salt
- 1.5 cups of pitted dates
- *Optional - add 1 Tbsp Almond butter (subtract 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil)
Roll On Garnish Options
- Hemp seeds
- Cacao Powder
- Dessicated Coconut
- Food Processor
- Wooden Spoon/ Spatula
- Large mixing bowl
- Plate / Flat rolling surface
- Tupperware Container (for storage)
- Drop the pitted dates into a food processor and process them until a "ball" forms.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the processor (LSA, hemp seeds, cacao powder, coconut oil, salt, Maca & optional almond butter) and process until the mixture is thoroughly combined and reached a smooth texture.
- The dough should be relatively "sticky" and should not crumble away when you form a ball. If it does start to crumble, add 1 to 3 teaspoons of water into the mixture a bit at a time, processing the blender after each addition.
- When your mixture is ready, pour it out of the food processor into a large bowl - so as to avoid cutting fingers on the sharp blades of the machine.
- Shape the dough into balls into your desired size (we opt for a hefty 4cm diameter) and place them on to a plate or flat surface, ready for garnishing.
- Roll each ball into your desired garnishing(s) until completely coated. If needed, lightly wet the balls before rolling, to help the toppings stick.
- Place balls into your tupperware container and freeze for 20 minutes until firm - or simply eat them straight away (however they are better cold).
- For best results (and to hide them from plain sight) store in a tupperware container in the freezer. The balls will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for 4 to 6 weeks.
If your pitted dates are too dry, they may be hard to process in the food processor. If so, soak them in boiling water for 15 minutes, then drain the liquid. You may need to get creative in pressing out the excess water. If the “dough” is too sticky to shape, add a TBSP of LSA and process the mixture again.
Modify the flavours by adding peppermint or orange extract.
Grab a jar of our NZ Grown Hemp Seeds delivered to your door >>>